Friday, October 28, 2011

going through the 'E'motions of buying and selling

Almost everytime I order food in a restaurant as the waitress walks away I get what I call 'Orderer's Remorse".  I think to myself  'why did I order that?  I get that everytime, why didn't I try something new' or if i do order something new, something a little risky I panick and think I should have ordered my usual!

I see the same sort of thing happen when people buy and sell homes. Buyers seem to go from a super high of excitement and as the hours or days go on they may dip right down to a panick about their decision and then they usually come back up to comfortable level where they are maybe just a bit nervous and stressed, but know they are making a good choice.  What I find interesting is alot of these emotions are brought on by outsiders, people not even apart of the transaction.  Friends, relatives and even strangers will for whatever reason put doubt into the buyers heads.  "you are paying to much, its a bad market to buy in, Oh that house has been for sale a long time there must be something wrong with it"  

The same sort of thing often happens when you sell your home, a neighbour or friend will make comments like " Oh you only got that much for your house eh?? hmm I would have thought it was worth more than that" 
I guess its human nature, us humans can be a bit on the negative side at times.  I now make a point of preparing buyers and sellers that this will likely happen.  The more 'emotional' of a person you are the more extreme the highs and lows of buying and selling can be.  Some people need minutes, some hours and some take days or weeks to decide on a home.  Knowing what kind of buyer or seller you are before you get started is helpful and knowing what kind of buyer/seller your husband/wife/partner is can also help with the process.  happy friday and happy halloween weekend everyone!

No comments: